Tuesday, August 22, 2006

MEBCAM has the touch. MEBCAM has the power.

Canberra's most popular easy listening station now in mug form.


A man's gotta eat. A man might live in Canberra. And so without further ado, here's Mister Evil Breakfast’s Top Five Eating Establishments In The Nation’s Capital (MEBTFEEITNC)

5. RJs. Located in Woden in the car park opposite Hoggies and behind another carpark, it’s where they have Trash n Treasure occasionally – if you’re ever there and this caravan of wonder has a price tag, for the love of Natalie Portman, buy the puppy. The greatest chips and gravy in the southern hemisphere, and the hot dogs are divine. The menu also boasts a “Taco Dog” which sounds appealing, but I dare someone to actually order it.
COST: For $5, you’ll be the happiest ball of cholesterol in the world.
SPECIALTIES: Chips n Gravy. Served in a paper cup, these thinly cut slices of Potato Heaven are smothered in gravy with the consistency of Vegemite and the taste of thick, black gold. (Chef recommends Coke as an accompanying beverage).

4. Ainslie Take Away. Nestled in the heart of Ainslie, this take away appears to be the same as every other fish n chippery anywhere in the world. Don’t let the plastic curtain strips fool you, this place is perfect for those looking for a meal with a bit of bite. And by bite, I mean a ferocious ‘Casey-Donovan-on-a-Big-Mac’ kind of attack. For those with a less spicy palate (i.e. pussies), you can chow down on dim sims and Chiko Rolls to your hearts content, but trust me, the ulcers are totally worth it.
COST: Bring along a $10 for an extra beverage. You’ll need it.
SPECIALTIES: Portuguese Chicken Burger. Take one piece of chicken breast, take out the chicken and stuff with spices. Deep fry. Add more spices, slap it on some bread, add a bit of spicy sauce and salad and go nuts. Don’t expect to be able to feel your tongue for the rest of the day.

3. Kingsley’s. It doesn’t matter which store of this delightful chain you go to, it is impossible to be disappointed. Their “Kid’s Meal” toys leave a lot to be desired (a balloon? Come on!) and their television ads are fucking terrible, but I think this is to leave room in the budget for the best damn chook this side of Saturn. Believe you me, you’ll be sucking on chicken bones for a week to make sure you’ve got all the meat off.
COST: You could quite easily spend a quarter mill, but $10 should do you nicely for a meal with chips and a drink.
SPECIALTIES: Obviously a personal choice, but the Breast Fillet Burger (with gravy AND coleslaw) is my favourite. The coleslaw juice runs down your arm, which would normally be a turn off, but in this case, it just adds to the experience. Use a spare chip and mop up that mess. Delightful.

2. Yowana Golf Club. Sounds ritzy, and maybe it is, but at the end of the day, it’s just a club with a bar, bistro and pokies. And the best damn schnitzel ever. Seriously. After my first meal there, I was inspired to try and hook up my intestines back to my mouth so I could continue to eat this divine piece of cuisine forever. When Mark Holden says, “Whizzo Fizzo Shnitzel,” you know he’s just come from Yowana, and his brain is struggling to cope with the flavour sensation that is the schnitty (or he might just be slightly retarded). There are wars going on in the Middle East that could be solved with the eating of a schnitzel and the supping of beer. The Queen once tried to burn down the Palace because her chef thought he could “do a better schnitzel than Yowana.” Go there for a work lunch and get your boss to buy the beers.
COST: It doesn’t matter. Just do it. I think the schnitzels are $14 though. Best $14 I’ve ever spent.
SPECIALTIES: They do a good Caesar Salad. Just kidding. Salad’s for girls, rabbits and old Roman emperors.

1. Chicken Gourmet. For those 4am munchies. Conveniently located next door to King O’Malleys, you can quite literally stumble from pint to plate without breaking stride. It’s also on the way to the taxi rank, so you can stand in line with your little bag of goodies and lord it over the hungry and cold who are standing with you.

Chips? You got it. Chicken? Of course. Burgers? Yep. Other things? Probably. With ‘help yourself’ chicken salt and the most patient staff in the world, Chicken Gourmet is a godsend to drunken idiots at a thousand o’clock in the morning. If some young tart doesn’t flirt her way into your alfoil bag (that is NOT a metaphor) while waiting for a cab, it makes for a terrific breakky snack the next day.
COST: If you’re at Chicken Gourmet, it really doesn’t matter how much it is, cause you’ll pay it regardless. Consider it an investment. WARNING: No matter how hungry you feel, you probably won’t eat as much as you think you can. Don’t throw it away, use it as barter in the cab line.
SPECIALTIES: I can't resist a bag of chicken salt and a few chips, personally. Throw in a chunk of one of those little birds that clucks and I'm the happiest bloke alive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if they have one of those Lonely Planets for Canberra like they do for those fancy cities like New York, but if they did it should be MEBCAM...

But how the hell did RJ's beat Marty's onto that list?

-Chubb

Mister Evil Breakfast said...

Dear Chubb,

Lonely Planet contacted me yesterday to sign me up to a billion dollar a year contract where I only have to type 3 random letters a week, so good is my writing. However, I told them that I was perfectly happy earning minimum wage and writing my blog for free.

RJs beat Marty's on the list because Marty's is absolute rubbish. The only good thing about them is their hot pork rolls (with apple sauce and crackling) but they actually taste more like homeless people than pork rolls. And yes, I would know. I ate three homeless people for breakfast. Not by choice, might I add. It's a long story.
Anyway, you can continue to eat your homeless people rolls, or you can stop being such a whining little bitch and drive the extra 3 minutes to get some real food. At RJ's, I mean. I'm not sure if that was already implied. I reckon it was.

Mister Evil Breakfast said...

Dear x2, and by x2, I mean Spasmo.

I assume your comment about South Pac was in reference to my run-down on various pubs, clubs and drinking venues that adorn Canberra. Why you posted it in the food section is beyond me. Do you have crab claws instead of hands? Do they make it hard to use the mouse and keyboard properly? I'll assume it is quite hard. Poor Crab Boy. Anyway, Pincers, I didn't include South Pac because no one in their right mind would go there (I've been twice, but I wasn't quite in my right mind). But because I love you, here's my special little blurb for South Pac.

South Pac is a dive. Only go there for a bet. That said, the drinks are cheap, but you might find yourself getting the shit kicked out of you by an entire Maori rugby team.
Best bits: You may see someone get the shit kicked out of them by an entire Maori rugby team.
Worst bits: You may get the shit kicked out of you by an entire rugby team.

There. Now go away.